At Jana, we take fun seriously. I know, that sounds an oxymoron, but we do! Every month we plan some sort of a fun event for the whole team. We have a bunch of foodies at Jana and food-related events are usually a hit. So I organized a friendly culinary competition and this past Friday we held the first ever Jana Iron Chef competition.
Here are the rules for Jana Iron Chef:
- Teams of 2 people cook together
- Two kitchen stations set up for 2 teams to go head-to-head at the same time
- Full access to common “office food” ingredients
- 20 minutes per round of cooking
- Each team must prepare two dishes:
- One savory dish
- One sweet dish
- Each round features a new secret ingredient that must be used in both courses
- Panel of 3 judges scores each dish on:
- 10 points taste
- 5 points creativity
- 5 points presentation
- 5 points use of secret ingredient
The main challenge is being confined to office-type food ingredients. Think about making a “restaurant quality” dish using only instant mac-and-cheese, goldfish crackers, and string cheese. It’s a testament to the creativity of our teams that they were able to make some delicious dishes using a very limited pantry. Our secret ingredients ended up being:
- Round 1: Goat cheese
- Round 2: Bacon
- Round 3: Starfruit and Dragonfruit
There was one big surprise when, after two rounds of competition, two teams tied for second place. We had to scramble and organize a three-way cook-off for the final round. It was a thrilling way to end the competition.
Congratulations to the champions of the first ever Jana Iron Chef: Christina & Caroline, team Christoline!